Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Macon Beer Fest Recap

The high was 100, but that didn't stop the beer-craving masses from flooding the streets of downtown Macon.  Much like last year, each attendee received a handy bag to carry their sampling cup and check sheet.  Many of the locations were offering draft beer this year, which was a nice addition.  The lines moved much faster than last year with many stations having an almost non-existent line.  Perhaps my favorite improvement was that I was able to try every beer.  I enjoyed my last sample at 7PM on the dot.  Last year there were 3 or 4 beers I was unable to try due to locations running out of beer.  Overall, it was a great day and I didn't even get a sunburn!

If you want to see pictures, check out my twitter @maconbeerscene or the hashtag #maconbeerfest.

Here's a list of what you tried at each location, and my quick thoughts on each beer.

Bearfoot Tavern
Red Brick Matcha Yuzu Super Green IPA - Do you like green tea?  Because that's exactly what this beer tastes like!  Maybe a bit much for me, but plenty of others around me were enjoying it.
Strawn Scottish Ale - My favorite Strawn beer.  Nice and roasty but light enough to enjoy in the heat.

Hummingbird
Jailhouse 4D IPA - Tons of hop character in this IPA. Jailhouse constantly changes their IPA and I think each version is better than the last.
Jailhouse Reprieve - Sort of a cross between a wheat and a saison.  Spicy, yet refreshing.  Maybe it was the heat, but I thought of it as a summer saison.
Note: The Hummingbird will have these beers on tap for $2/pint tonight (9/3/14)!

Lemongrass
O'Dempsey's Inukshuk IPA - This was my last beer of the day, so all I remember is that I liked it.
O'Dempsey's Big Red - Malty and sweet, just as you would expect.

Ocmulgee Traders
Orange Blossom Pilsner - Both the name of the brewery and the beer.  A sweeter, slightly fruity take on a light beer.
Sprecher Hard Root Beer - Tastes exactly like root beer, but the same alcohol as a beer.  Dangerous.
Harpoon IPA - An old favorite, a well-balanced IPA.

Downtown Macon Rotary
Back Forty Naked Pig - A nice pale ale, not too bitter, from across the state line in Alabama.
Innus and Gunn Original - This brewery is known for barrel aging all the beers, so it would be expected that this one had a hint of bourbon to it.
Anchor Porter - I suppose they had to get a dark beer in here, but the chocolate and coffee notes were a bit too much in this heat.  This would be a great winter beer.

Margaritas - Mercer Village
Abita Lemon Wheat - Sort of what you'd expect if you dissolved a lemon drop in a beer, which actually worked in a good way.
Three Taverns White Hops - One of my favorite GA breweries, this one crosses a wheat and an IPA for a summer take on the style.

Twang
Southern Tier Phin and Matt's - Easy drinking pilsner-ish beer.  Light and refreshing.
Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan - Been seeing a lot of this one recently.  A slightly sweet brown ale with a hint of pecans.

Ginger
Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Holy crap it's peanut butter and chocolate.  Not exactly a summer beer but would be a great dessert beer.
Sweetwater Blue - The summer classic.  Light, a bit sweet and a strong flavor of blueberries.

Cox Capitol Theatre
Max Lagers Hopsplosion - Whoa. The hoppiest thing I've had all day, maybe all summer.  Maybe even too hoppy for me.
Max Lagers Demon d'Or - Very sweet with some Belgian flavors. Glad I'm drinking it indoors because it's probably too boozy for the heat.

Ocmulgee National Reserve
Uinta Hop Nosh - I've had some beers from this brewery that I didn't like, but this one is a solid IPA.
Clown Shoes Clementine - A bit of hops, a bit of wheat and a bit of orange.  Refreshing.
Highland Gaelic Ale - Not sure what I was expecting, but this one tasted a lot lighter than it looked.  Kind of wish it had more malt.

Downtown Grill
Eventide Kolsch - A lighter beer that was appropriate for the weather. First time trying something from these guys and I liked it.
Wild Heaven White Blackbird - This was a more traditional saison, with plenty of spicy notes.  One of my favorites of the day.

Rookery
Macon Progress - The beer we all know and love.  Need I say more?
Macon Music - The latest batch of this IPA is the best yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment